Monday, August 10, 2009

RC: Egg Drop Soup

I took a bit of a break over the summer, because, well, I wasn't living in a dorm. Even though some of my experimenting could have been done in a dorm room, it just didn't seem right. But now I'm back in school and what I do best: figuring out how to eat/cook what you want in a dorm room!

Today I made Chinese Egg Drop Soup in a rice cooker. It's a very straightforward thing to make, and it was really easy to do in the rice cooker. I started with one of these packets:


Dry stuff came out - I added a few cups of water and turned the rice cooker on. I just followed the directions on the package, and after it was boiling and all mixed up, I blended an egg (with a fork in a cup, I might add), and then stirred the egg in.

This soup smelled bad and tasted kind of bad, and then I added the egg and miraculously, both improved. It was also fun stirring the egg, because I could see how far the bits of a single egg could go in hot liquid before they cooked. You almost have to try making this just for the experience.



Edit: http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa090701a.htm
This article makes it seem really complicated to pour in the egg. However, it worked just fine for me on the first try. Beginner's luck? A perfect mix? Could it be that Egg Drop Soup is actually /easier/ to make in a rice cooker?

0 comments: